Accelerated Master's Programs
Accelerated Master’s degree programs (BAMs) allow highly qualified and highly motivated undergraduates to begin graduate study while still completing their BA. This allows them to earn an MA in a reduced amount of time, and at significantly reduced cost.
Mason undergraduate students who have completed 60 credits are eligible to apply to the Accelerated Master’s Degree (BAM) program. Students accepted into the BAM can:
- Enroll in seminar-style graduate courses while still completing the BA
- Apply up to 12 graduate credits to both the BA and the MA
- Earn an additional 6 reserve graduate credits while still an undergraduate (at undergraduate tuition rates)
- Begin their MA degree with 18 credits already earned
- Complete both degrees with as few as total 138 credits
Additional benefits of the Accelerated Master’s Degree (BAM) program include:
- A streamlined application process
- No application fee
Master's in Foreign Languages with a concentration in Spanish/Bilingual- Multicultural Education
The MA in Foreign Languages with a concentration in Spanish/Bilingual- Multicultural Education combines courses in Spanish offered in the Department of Modern and Classical Languages with select courses in multicultural education offered by the College of Education and Human Development. This degree prepares individuals to effectively teach Spanish in diverse settings, including second language, heritage language, and mixed classes, as well as multicultural learning contexts.
Students can choose to simultaneously earn the graduate certificate in Spanish Heritage Language Education, which provides expertise on the linguistic, sociolinguistic, and cultural characteristics of Spanish-speakers in the US; heritage language educational policy; and social justice-oriented, antiracist approaches to teaching Spanish. Coursework can count for BOTH the MA and the certificate (but no course can count towards more than two programs).
Virginia Licensure is available with additional coursework beyond the degree.
- Graduate Assistantship in Spanish tutoring (open to all MA students)
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship (only students who have completed 18 graduate credits may apply)
- Tuition discount available for Virginia educators! The discount can be applied to 2 graduate courses, or 6 credits, per semester, and up to 18 credits total. If you currently teach at a public or private school in the state of Virginia, please inquire further about your eligibility for this award by contacting Dr. Ellen Serafini, Director of Graduate Studies and/or email@example.com