Accelerated Master's Programs
Accelerated Master’s degree programs (BAMs) allow highly qualified and highly motivated undergraduates to begin graduate study while still completing their BA. This allows them to earn an MA in a reduced amount of time, and at significantly reduced cost.
Mason undergraduate students who have completed 60 credits are eligible to apply to the Accelerated Master’s Degree (BAM) program. Students accepted into the BAM can:
- Enroll in seminar-style graduate courses while still completing the BA
- Apply up to 12 graduate credits to both the BA and the MA
- Earn an additional 6 reserve graduate credits while still an undergraduate (at undergraduate tuition rates)
- Begin their MA degree with 18 credits already earned
- Complete both degrees with as few as total 138 credits
Additional benefits of the Accelerated Master’s Degree (BAM) program include:
- A streamlined application process
- No application fee
Master's in Foreign Languages with a concentration in Chinese
The MA in Foreign Languages with a concentration in Chinese offers students an opportunity to study a wide variety of topics from multiple disciplinary perspectives. Coursework includes the academic study of the language, literature, and the cultures of the Chinese-speaking world (including the US) as well as applied linguistics, cultural studies, critical pedagogy, film studies, and Latinx studies.
MA students in the Department of Modern and Classical Languages are eligible to apply for the following Graduate Assistantships. All of these assistantships provide a stipend and cover six credits of graduate tuition per semester.
- Graduate Assistantship in Chinese tutoring (open to all MA students)
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship (only students who have completed 18 graduate credits may apply)
- Tuition discount available for Virginia educators! The discount can be applied to 2 graduate courses, or 6 credits, per semester, and up to 18 credits total. If you currently teach at a public or private school in the state of Virginia, please inquire further about your eligibility for this award by contacting Dr. Ellen Serafini, Director of Graduate Studies and/or email@example.com